Every 2nd Saturday, 10-4, June through October.

It's easy to be GREEN!

The Gahanna Greenflea is an Eco-friendly & Eco-chic Flea Market. What a better way to show you care than by choosing to REUSE RECYCLE & REDUCE! We want to do our part to make less of an impact on the environment & stop filling up landfills with unused “stuff,” so a group of local business owners decided to start the Gahanna Greenflea. The Market will highlight talented artisans who work with green resources as well as local vendors who are Eco-friendly. Items found at the Market will be at least One of the following: Used~Recycled~Re-purposed~Restored~Upcycled~ Vintage~Antique~ Crafted with Used, Renewable, Sustainable or Eco-friendly materials~ Washable vs. disposable~ Home grown~ You can find us once a month, on the Second Saturday in the yard behind Honey Grove Botanicals Bath & Candle Boutique & The Little Black Chair located at 116 Mill Street in Olde Gahanna. Free Parking across the street in the Creekside Garage.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

New Greenflea Vendor-Born In A Barn Furniture-Brian Scheiderer

My first experience with using reclaimed lumber came about 6 years ago when I gathered enough of the material to build an enclosed back porch for our house, the majority of which is exposed raw barn lumber.

Having an appreciation for the quality of the wood and the knowledge that I was saving natural resources, it prompted me to experiment further. About two years ago I decided to start 'Born in a Barn Furniture' and I've been building ever since!

Most of the barn lumber that I have gathered has come from Champaigne, Union, and Fairfield counties. Generally, the barns are well over 100 years old.

I first dismantle the boards from the barn frame and then haul them home. Next comes the chore of pulling out all the nails and then scraping off the decades of barn life. What I am then left with is a variety of oak, ash, maple, and some cherry boards with interesting grain patterns, knots, and the original quarter-sawn blade markings. This makes for beautiful and interesting furniture, shelves, and accessories.

I have shown my work at area festivals including the Marysville Festifair, Worthington Fall Fest, and Pearl Alley Market among others. I also do custom work for my clients.

I live in the Plain City area with my wife and step-son, plus I have two children in college. I currently work as a part-time Ranger with Metro Parks and also for the Columbus Dispatch.

I look forward to seeing you at the Gahanna Greenflea!

Green Tip of the Day: Use native species for lawns and shrubs. You'll need to water less.

No comments:

Post a Comment